Our vision is to encourage students to
- gain confidence in the kitchen environment
- develop a greater knowledge of food and nutrition
- understand the science behind food
- achieve an insight into the hospitality and catering industry.
Year 10/11 – New GCSE in Food Preparation & Nutrition WJEC Eduqas
Students taking this exciting new GCSE will learn about the principles of food science, nutrition and healthy eating. The course will encourage learners to cook and enable them to make informed decisions about food and nutrition in order to be able to feed themselves and others affordably and nutritiously.
The qualification is linear and all three assessments take place in the second year of the course; feedback grading will be 9-1.
Please follow this link for the Food Mastery Curriculum Map
Principles of food preparation and nutrition – Written examination – 50%
Food preparation and nutrition in action – Practical assessment – 50%
Over the two year course students will:
- Explore a variety of food commodities
- Learn about nutrition
- Gain knowledge of the science of food
- Consider food spoilage and how it can be prevented
- Learn a variety of cooking and food preparation methods
- Gain knowledge of diet and good health
- Consider food manufacture and production
- Discuss sustainability
- Experience meal planning
The coursework is divided into two parts which are both undertaken in Year 11;
- A scientific investigation into the preparation and cooking of food for example ‘pastry.’
- Creating dishes to form a menu including research, trailing and tasting, cooking, presenting and evaluating.