Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Department (SEND)
Longsands Academy is a fully inclusive secondary academy for 11- 18 year olds and we pride ourselves on providing an engaging and supportive environment in which our students feel empowered to reach and embrace their full potential with confidence.
Mrs Martin-Morales, the SENDCo, leads the SEND Team, and works alongside other key staff in the Academy such as the Assistant Principal for SEND & Inclusion (Mr Lesurf), the Transition Coordinator (Mrs Simpson), the Exams Manager (Mrs Carpenter), Attendance Manager (Mrs Baker), Behaviour Manager (Mr Mykoo), Heads of Year and teaching staff. Mrs Martin-Morales also works closely with the Assistant SENDCo (Mrs Bacchus) who supports the SENDCo on the day to day work of the department and is in charge of ICT for students within the department. The SEND team has a number of highly skilled and experienced teaching assistants, who impact hugely on the school experiences and lives of our SEND learners.
Working alongside teachers, teaching assistants provide support for students within lessons, enabling progress in learning and inclusion with their peers. A range of extra provision is offered, which include the following:
- Catch-Up and Lexonic literacy programs;
- numeracy programs;
- study support, which may include prior learning and consolidation and supported homework;
- sensory exercise programs with input from physiotherapists and occupational therapists;
- communication programs, with input from speech therapists;
- social skills groups to support communication and interaction.
If you would like more details about our SEND provision or to discuss your child’s individual circumstances, please do contact Mrs Martin-Morales via email@example.com
Please click the following link to view the Special Educational Needs and Disability Policy
For further information, please follow this link to consult the Longsands Academy SEND Information Report 2021
How we allocate support to students who are not currently on the SEND register:
Types of Need:
- 5 Steps to Emotion Coaching
- Emotion Coaching Handout for Parents and Carers
- Example Emotion Coaching Scripts
Links to websites:
Emotional Health and Wellbeing