Post 16/18 Pathways
As part of our focus on preparing students to make a successful transition to post 16 learning we encourage students to:
- Investigate their post 16 and 18 options (pathways)
- Gather impartial information, advice and guidance from experts about these pathways
- Broaden their horizons – consider new pathways
- Make realistic choices
What are the main options after GCSEs?
- Full-time study in a school, college or with a training provider;
- Full-time work or volunteering (20 hours or more) combined with part-time education or training leading to relevant regulated qualifications
- An apprenticeship, traineeship or supported internship.
Here are a series of videos which give more information about these routes:
- Apprenticeships – https://amazingapprenticeships.com/awareness-assemblies/
- Full time college courses (this is a video produced by Cambridge Regional College, it will give you an overview but there are many other colleges in the local area. Please investigate several institutions)
- Sixth Form study (this is a video produced by The Astrea Sixth Form, it will give you an overview but there are many other Sixth Forms in the local area. Please investigate several institutions).
Post 18 option: University – https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rF5XPIQH67oJWKv25Xzg4ixvwhkD8LG2/view?usp=sharing
When considering post 16 pathways, we advise students to:
- Listen carefully to the information given by the experts
- Take notes to help remember the steps to take
- Don’t judge before listening to the information
- Don’t follow someone else’s pathway; choose the right route for you
- Think carefully and reflect before deciding which route is right